One of my favorite gifts to give an expecting mother is Peanut Butter Energy Bites, along with adorable baby clothes of course! Peanut Butter Energy Bites are little balls of protein and fibre as well as a good source of healthy calories. All 3 which are crucial for mothers after the birth of her baby.
- The protein will help with recovery after child birth.
- Fibre will help keep the bowels healthy, which is especially important if the new mom is on any pain medications post-partum.
- Finally these balls are full of energy (or calories) and will be a great asset when the new mom is unable to make a meal or snack in those first few weeks of limited sleep.
- If the new mom is breastfeeding these energy bites will provide healthy calories that will help keep her milk supply up for her growing baby.
These little balls of happiness take about 20 minutes to make and taste like raw cookie dough! They can also be customized to suit the new mom’s taste preference, for example: adding crushed nuts, pumpkin seeds, using almond butter or omitting the toasted coconut or chocolate chips, they also freeze well for extended shelf life.
Here is the peanut butter energy bites I am currently loving:
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup whole flax seed
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Roll into 1 inches balls.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Place in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Once frozen, portion into in freezer safe storage bag or container.
As amazing as these energy bites are for expecting/new moms’s. They can also be used for other purposes such as:
- quick easy snack, especially for kids!
- pre/post exercise nutrition.
- a healthy snack to beat a sugar craving.
Leave a comment about what your favorite energy bite recipe is! I am always looking for new ideas 🙂